Friday, December 4, 2015

Crayon Adventure


I am handling three kids very well, I would say team expert right here (haha yeah right). Not even 24 hours being home from the hospital I was taking a nap (my mom was with the kiddos) and Andie came and woke me up. She stated very sad, "Mom I have a crayon up my nose." WHAT! I sat up in bed, grabbed my phone (to turn the flashlight on) and shone it up her nose. Sure enough there is a blue crayon!


I didn't dare go up and try to get the crayon out on my own in fright that it would go out of site down her nose, it really was up there. I searched around to figure out what Instacare we could go to with our insurance (that is how often I use it, NEVER). My Dad then came and took me and Andie to the Instacare (I couldn't drive being on my drugs from surgery), and my Mom stayed behind with Jake and Brooklyn. My parents have been such a BIG HELP!


Andie did so good at the Instacare, dancing around the room waiting for our turn. With every person who was called back she excitedly waited for her name to be called. I have never seen Andie excited to see a doctor before so I definitely knew that she was wanting this crayon out of her nose.




Finally they called Andie's name and she went back and did so good getting her weight, height and blood pressure taken. She then climbed on the exam table all on her own and did so good when the doctor came in. He tried some long tweezers at first to try and grab it right out, to slippery. He then tried a catheter thing to try and go around the crayon piece and grab it out, nothing. He tried adding some vaseline onto some tools to have it stick and pulled out, nope. Nothing was working to get this piece of crayon out and he was getting nervous this would fall down at any moment.




The doctor finally got one last idea before he would send us to the emergency room, he was confident this last idea would do the trick. He brought in an assistant with a bulb syringe. My Dad was up by Andie's head holding her head still. The assistant was on one side of Andie ready to cover her mouth with his hand. The doctor had the bulb syringe ready to shoot a blast of air up her nose (the side without the crayon in it). I was down by her feet holding her hands for comfort and to make sure she didn't push anyone away. On the count of three everyone did their job and the blue piece of crayon literally SHOT out of her nose, SO FUNNY! 


I wish so badly I would of grabbed a video of that flying crayon but comforting Andie was the only thing on my mind. Andie was a little stunned after the procedure probably from the pressure build up in her ears with the blast of air (this was a BIG bulb syringe not a normal small one you use on babies). Andie learned her lesson though and won't be putting another crayon up her nose, plus now she thinks the doctors office is so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment