Thursday, December 3, 2015

Brooklyn Riley

Week 36 of pregnancy was so eventful it made me curious to see what week 37 would do for me. I was on bed rest for a total of two days before I went into my 37 week appointment. At this appointment to no surprise my blood pressure was still higher at 137/92, not terrible but still a concern. I had more protein in my urine (TMI) and I still had the constant headaches and dizziness right at the front of my forehead (plus SPD is a pain, literally). I was measuring 37 weeks so no change in the last couple weeks.


With everything that was happening in this pregnancy Yamashiro decided no more fooling around. Based on his medical experience he told Zach (and I) I want to deliver you tomorrow because of a few different reasons, the main one is when your wife delivers I want to be able to tell you your wife is alive and the baby is in the NICU (If they need a little extra help being born early) then wait until my due date and tell me I stroked out on the delivery table and died (WHAT!). With my constant headaches and especially as bad as they were getting the past month, my brain was swelling which was affecting my vision and personality basically. I have seen Greys Anatomy a swelling brain means dead (okay I know it's just a TV show but it's my favorite).


We decided delivery the next morning was best for us all, plus now our birthdays are 20 days apart. So we anxiously went and registered for our csection, got our blood work done and then went home to pack and clean for the arrival of our second princess (FINALLY AN END, this pregnancy has been so hard).


Saturday November 7th we woke bright and early (felt earlier then normal considering I couldn't sleep the night before from being so anxious of everything that would happen that day) to be to the hospital by 7:30am. Once at the hospital and to my room they had me change into my gown, fill out paperwork and start on an IV. Csection was scheduled for 9am.

We were taken back a little late due to the fact they had a previous csection they were working on finishing up, I met her in the lab the day before so yeah congrats to the new Momma of 2. Back in the OR (operating room) I sat up on the table after walking back. Zachary was changing in our room putting on his white jumpsuit they would bring him back when I was all setup. They did a spinal (which wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be) and I had such a great anesthetist. It was like a light lightening bolt shooting down my left leg until he got it centered. When he asked if the spinal was centered he asked what side I could feel it on now and I had no idea. That's when he knew it was the right spot and put the medicine in and bam both my feet felt warm and tingly and it slowly started moving up my body, weird.


Zachary came into the OR (operating room) once I was draped and by 9:55am our little Brooklyn Riley entered into the world. They stated, "She is here and with one nuccal (cord wrapped around neck)" but all I heard was suctioning and more suctioning. They took her to the warmer and kept suctioning and suctioning, this girl was FULL of fluid, her apgars were 4 and 8. Brooklyn weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces and was 20 inches long. The came and showed her to me and then quickly left to the NICU as they were concerned about her lungs and she was having a hard time breathing, Zachary left to stay by her side.




They finished up my surgery by closing me up, hearing the counts and talking between all the employees took me back to the days when I worked in Labor and Delivery and assisted on csections, how fun! The employees were all joking around because since I had so much fluid I guess I soaked one of the doctors shoes (oops) they had to lay blankets on the OR (operating room) floor to try to wipe some of the water up, oh gosh. I asked Yamashiro how my scar tissue was, because yes I want 3 more kids, and he said you can have more babies haha he knows my worries for sure. I love my doctor!


In the NICU Brooklyn was being well taken care of. She was put on oxygen, suctioned a lot more and an IV was started on her. Her little footprints showed no lines, they were smooth, which indicates lungs not being developed, interesting. She had an X-ray on her lungs showing the proof that in fact they didn't develop as well as they wanted and were still full of fluid. They were concerned about infection forming so they started antibiotics, medicine to help develop her lungs was given and they stuck a suction down her throat.


Meanwhile I finished up in the OR (operating room) and they moved me onto my bed and back to the room. As I was being monitored my very best friend was those warm blankets, heaven! I wasn't to hungry at this point but I sure was thirsty, love those ice chips. I didn't have any nausea and instantly my blood pressures was better at 110/68 (crazy what delivering a baby can do to your body). I wasn't feeling any pain since they actually have some medicine in the spinal that will last for up to 24 hours, that's the good stuff right there.


After monitoring me for a bit I was then moved up to the postpartum rooms where I would stay the next four days. I was numb for the LONGEST time, so it seemed, I'm sure the anticipation of feeling my toes so I could go see Brooklyn in the NICU is really what made it feel like eternity. Brooklyns nurse came up to my room at this point and brought me a framed picture of my girl I had sitting on my table the whole hospital stay. Knowing she was here and so perfect helped me in my recovery, she is 100% worth it, she was struggling herself what a fighter.


While waiting to continue to unnumb I decided to work on my paperwork they give you and watch some episodes of criminal minds. Me time is rare and it felt so good (being a mom you will understand haha). Food was finally brought up to me as well and I'm sure I ate it faster then I should have haha. Of course my movement came back and I was immediately up (maybe a little to fast as I got quite dizzy) and put right in a wheelchair to go see my princess. That evening they also gave me Benadryl as you can get itchy from the spinal meds, oh boy was I ever itchy, and oh boy did the Benadryl make me very very sleepy.








On the 8th (Sunday) was a relax day. I got up and moved A LOT, which helps with quick recovery, going back and forth to the NICU. I was able to shower and feel more human like. Brooklyn was improving in leaps and bounds with her O2 being lowered, she started feedings from a bottle (not just IV fluids), her x-ray this morning was also COMPLETELY CLEAR!!!! HOW?!?! Modern medicine (with lots of prayers) is such a miracle worker to be able and heal a body so quickly. The day was perfect as Brooklyn was improving enough they were stating she would most likely be able to leave way sooner then the two weeks we were originally told.





Andie and Jake came up with Daddy to see me which was so good to hug my cute kiddos after a couple days. Of course Andie wanted to see Brooklyn and got her wish as Brooklyn was moved that night (8pm) to the level 1 NICU right by a window seat. The NICU nurses treated me a little extra special while there since they all recognized me from when Jake was in the NICU for two weeks after his birth last year. It was so neat to have the same nurses working on Brooklyn! I can't believe I'm the mother to 3 adorable kiddos, how blessed I felt going to bed that night.




Monday the 9th I was feeling a bit better as long as I kept up on pain meds. It was nice to be away from responsibility for a bit and really relax in the hospital (best I could on that uncomfortable bed). Brooklyn got completely OFF her oxygen and they switched up her formula to Similac Sensitive instead of the Advanced. This was Zachs last day off from work so he spent a lot of time with the Andie and Jake at home, they did come up to visit me once again too (I felt spoiled). It was a rough night after they left home and I admit I cried myself to sleep because I missed my family and all three of my kiddos.















Tuesday November 10th was my last full day in the hospital to really try to sleep and relax. It was nice to be able to try and take that time for me to get some much needed rest before I started tending to all my kiddos as Brooklyn was on track to come home with me, WHAT?! I guess third time is a charm eh? The NICU nurses stated that Brooklyn eats like a wolf and will down her whole bottle each feeding, so funny! I tossed and turned that night as the hospital beds are so very uncomfortable especially after being in it for so many nights.







Home day was November 11th, EXCITING! I went down to the NICU first thing after waking up. The nurses stated that Brooklyn hasn't gained any weight and isn't back up to her birth weight yet so it might keep her here plus she is looking kind of jaundice, burst my bubble! I went back up to my room heart broken, I REALLY wanted to be able to take her home with me. I haven't ever experienced a baby with me in the hospital or even just taking them home with me and I was looking forward to it more then I have wished for something in awhile. 



I showered and got ready for the day before heading back down for an update again in hopes the pediatrician at the NICU would just let Brooklyn pass and go home. It worked Brooklyn was in the all clear since she would be meeting with her doctor on Friday. I was SO excited! I got my staples out (OUCH as a few were super stuck in my skin and took some good tugging to pull those out) and steri strips were placed on my incision. Now the wait for my Mom to come and get me so I could go get Brooklyn out of the NICU. 



Three thirty came rolling around and we were able to go and dress Brooklyn and bring her home :) I was so anxious to see Andie and Jake love on Brooklyn for the first time. What a special moment it was to have our whole family of five together for the first time. Now to see how this whole healing process goes while tending to three kids! I love my Brooklyn Riley and so glad she is here in our arms for eternity, FINALLY ;)












No comments:

Post a Comment