Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Jake Oliver Wadsworth

March 13th I went in for my 39 week doctors appointment. I was so uncomfortable I knew I would ask one and only one question before I left that appointment. When could I be induced? I got the answer from the doctor "before 41 weeks". I don't use my death glare very often but the doctor may have received his first death glare from me and was in shock. I am miserable at 39 weeks, but measuring 42 weeks, is that wrong of me? 

We did another ultrasound to make sure Jake is still head down. With all the fluid Yamashiro can never really tell. I am still dilated to a 1, no change once again :( By this point I am so disappointed. I left the doctors office very depressed. My husband could tell the sadness in my face and decided we would get our daughter and then eat our feelings away at a buffet. What a funny, loving husband I have. He is the best!


After we ate and arrived home, Zachary, Andie and I, curled up and watched some movies together before we all crashed for the night very exhausted.

When I woke up on March 14th things felt different. It was really weird with that feeling in the back of my head all morning. Sure enough though my water started to leak. It leaked and leaked, gushed and gushed (TMI). Thank goodness for bathrooms. I called the hospital to tell them I was coming in. I should of waited to call in the car. I didn't know it would take me over 30 minutes just to try to stand up off the toilet without my bottoms being drenched.

Finally I got to the point I thought we would be okay to get to the hospital before I embarrassed myself from wet pants. I WAS WRONG! By the time we got to the hospital I told Zach I would need a wheelchair and there was no way I would be walking, thank you free valet parking.


I switched from the car to the wheelchair and the puddle I left on the car seat was like a swimming pool. Thank goodness we covered the car seat with plastic and lots of towels. My pants we drenched and half way up my shirt up passed my belly button was drenched plus my slippers were soaked. I left drips behind me as we went through the hospital to labor and delivery.

You would think after not registering with Andie I would of done it with Jake but nope I don't learn. I gave them all my information to get registered and then was taken to a triage room to verify if my water had broken. Once I stood up from the wheelchair the nurses minds were changed very quickly and I was taken to a delivery room.

Once admitted and as comfortable as I could get I was checked and was still only a one. I was contracting pretty good on my own so we decided to wait things out and see what happens.


A few hours later I was checked again and at a 3, yeah progress! I was so excited we were finally getting somewhere. I was then started on antibiotics because my GBS status was unknown. The test was misplaced so no answers were found. I also got my epidural before shift change so it wouldn't be delayed.

Shift change arrived and we got our favorite nurse that we had the whole time  of our stay at the hospital. She was awesome. I was checked and was at a 1. How did I go backwards? I guess I wasn't checked correctly the last time. What a bummer! With no change the last 7-8 hours I was started on pitocin.

Jake wasn't a fan of pitocin. Whenever it was started up his heartrate would drop or I would need to be put on oxygen. Pitocin was constantly being turned off and on all night long. The highest we ever succeeded to go was a 4. Not good!


My epidural started to act up and only worked on my left side and not on my right. We tried adjusting my position and pulling the epidural out some. Nothing was working. I got a new epidural put in at about 2am. Meanwhile as this was all happening Jake was sunny side up.

With Jake being sunnyside up it means he is facing the wrong direction. To try and fix this issue and make him turn, every 20-30 minutes I was switching sides with my top leg in a strap in the air. Comfy right?

I was finally able to try to sleep for a couple hours around 3am but not before being checked again and I was a 2. As I was sleeping my epidural almost completely wore out. As I was attempting to press my dose button to numb back up Yamashiro came in and I was checked. No change from when I was checked earlier still at a 2, by this time it was about 5am.


I was told to keep laboring a few more hours and if no change we would go to c-section. We suspected I would get a c-section ever since I passed 37 weeks of pregnancy. Andie was 5 pounds and apparently that's all that can fit through my body. Five minutes later the doctor walked in and said never mind lets go to c-section!

By this time it was just past 5:30am. We were prepped and ready and by 6:08 Jake Oliver Wadsworth arrived into the world with a double nuchal around his neck. After he was monitored for a few minutes and bands were added he was brought over for me to hold. My arms were numb completely from all the doses I was needed to numb me for surgery. I could feel the surgery on the left side for awhile there so I was given a lot of meds.


After surgery Jake was placed on the bed with me and we were rolled back to our delivery room for my recovery monitoring. Zachary got to feed Jake a bottle and he loved the food from the beginning and drank about 2oz. We were then moved over to the postpartum room.



The nursery nurse came in to look at Jake and noticed he was a bit grunty. I had fallen asleep and when I woke up I heard him being grunty, so as I was trying to look at him to see what was wrong that's when the nurse walked in. The nurse took Jake to check things out so I called Zach, who had gone to the cafeteria, and told him to go to the nursery. Zach dropped his lunch and went up to be with Jake, fantastic father right there!


Jake was quickly moved to the NICU just like Andie and tests were run on him. Fluid was in his lungs and an infection had formed. Antibiotics were started for at least 7 days. A hole was found in his lung so oxygen was bumped up to explained his lung in hopes the hole would heal itself. Jake had an IV for fluids, tubes in his mouth and nose to suction him out and he was thought to maybe have pneumonia as well. Other IV lines were all over his tiny body. I never got to hold my little man for a couple of days.







I finally did get to hold Jake and took in each moment. What a blessing children truly are. I spent the next few days walking back and forth to my room and the NICU. The doctors and nurses were so surprised how well I was moving and walking with going back and forth. I was told constantly it didn't look like I just had major abdominal surgery. I left the hospital on Wednesday after arriving on the Friday before at noon. What a crazy 6 days.

Jake is healed up now and spent 10 long days in the NICU, staying an extra week after I left home. It was hard traveling back and forth to the NICU and home to see him everyday and spend time with Andie as well at home while recovering from my c-section. Moms who have their babies in the NICU are very strong woman. Its hard and I only got a taste of what some Moms go through. Maybe one day I will have a child who doesn't have to be in the NICU and can come home with me after delivery, but until then I am so glad my boy is healthy and home!









No comments:

Post a Comment